Tuesday, 9 February 2010

A love letter...

I'm know I'm guilty of living in denial... Certain weeks I'm quite happy to talk and think about Eoghan, but other times I just can't - it's all too hard. Anyone mentions his name - my barriers go up. I haven't got space in my heart to be in love with two men.
It's all well and good if a man breaks up with you. It's easy to hate him. Your anger makes you reslilient. And friends can't wait to cricitise him ('we never liked his shoes / fringe / whole personality really'). But, when your Great Love dies, it's quite the opposite. Straight up there he goes, on the dead mans pedestal. How can any other man compete?
So, to give John, myself, our relationship a chance, sometimes I just have to block Eoghan out. But, it's funny, no matter how high I build the walls, he always finds a way to sneak over them.
Take last night... I was working late at home, rummaging in my desk for an old notebook to scribble in. I found an old spiral binder I didn't even recognise, opened it up - and a note fell out.
The date, written in Eoghan's handwriting, was 21st May 2007.

'To my Amox,
13 days before our wedding you get more beautiful by the second.
You save my life everyday.
And I love you forever and after.'

I don't even remember ever reading it before. And, though it leaves me shaken and uneasy, I need moments like this. To remind me, what we had was real. Because sometimes, three years on, now my lifes so different, I sometimes wonder if I dreamt it all.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy, Just happened to see ur post "A Love Letter". I see how impossible it is to erase certain memories... The post melted my heart..

    keep writing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read an article about your book. Am trying to get my hands on a copy, though I can't seem to find it for sale in the US, even on-line. I'm 32. My husband of 4 years died of leukemia three years ago. I echo your sentiment about wondering if you had dreamt it all. If I didn't have my two children as proof, and wedding photos to boot, I think I might actually believe that it was a dream. It's still so surreal at time. Thanks for your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely writing
    So strong :)
    I enjoy it!!
    www.skippinginheels.blogspot.com ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. To Anne, if you have not managed to find a copy of Amy's book, I bought my (2nd) copy recently on Amazon.

    Amy, your story is so sad, but beautiful. x

    ReplyDelete