I've now had three Christmases without him. And it just goes to show how time heals - or at least changes - you.
Christmas number 1: To be honest, I can hardly remember it. I slept-walked through the first six months. There were a couple of memorable moments from that festive season. An attempt at christmas shopping which ended in me standing in the center of Covent Garden market sobbing, because I'd seen a hat on a stall and, on autopilot thought, 'That's the perfect stocking filler for Eoghs'. Also, a phone call to Eoghan's mother which I don't think helped either of us. That's about all I remember of that year...
Christmas number 2: Living in the houseshare in London. You know the 27 men I talk about in my book? On Christmas Eve I woke with #25 in my bed... But by this stage my stamina for one night stands was dwindling. So much so that, when the man in question failed to call me on Christmas day as he'd promised (surprise surprise) I collapsed in a heap and sobbed to my Mother, 'I just can't do this anymore.'
After a mum-and-daught heart to heart I finally realised maybe, just maybe, sleeping with strangers wouldn't stop me missing him... Which led to the NY resolution, '2010 will be a man free zone.' Of course, sods law, three weeks later I met John. Which leads us to...
Christmas number 3: Spent in Australia, 'meeting the family.' And, there's a certain poetic justice in the fact I greeted 2010, with my new fiance, in the country where it all began...
As I said in the book, life goes on - even though you might not be ready for it.

No comments:
Post a Comment